By Justina Gregory
- Comprises 31 unique essays by way of a world forged of members, together with up-and-coming in addition to uncommon senior scholars
- Pays cognizance to socio-political, textual, and function points of Greek tragedy
- All historical Greek is transliterated and translated, and technical phrases are defined as they appear
- Includes feedback for extra examining on the finish of every bankruptcy, and a beneficiant and informative mixed bibliography
Read Online or Download A Companion to Greek Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This ebook comprises person stories of Pindar's 11 odes for Aiginetan victors, preceded through a quick survey of the heritage of the island and the character of its aristocracy. Anne Pippin Burnett's dialogue is very conscious of questions of mythic self-presentation, as exemplified within the pedimental sculptures of the Aphaia Temple and the parallel "narrative" sections of the odes.
The myths of the Norse god Thor have been preserved within the Icelandic Eddas, set down within the early heart a long time. The bane of giants and trolls, Thor was once worshipped because the final line of defence opposed to all that threatened early Nordic society. Thor's value endured lengthy after the Christian conversion and, within the mid-eighteenth century, Thor resumed a symbolic prominence between northern international locations.
Die Epoche der Renaissance (spätes 14. bis frühes 17. Jahrhundert) battle die intensivste part der Antikerezeption in der Geschichte Europas. Die Wiederentdeckung, Aneignung und Weiterentwicklung der Errungenschaften der Antike haben die Kultur der Frühen Neuzeit auf allen Gebieten entscheidend geprägt.
The final fifty years have obvious an important swap within the concentration of saga reports, from a preoccupation with origins and improvement to a renewed curiosity in different themes, similar to the character of the sagas and their price as resources to medieval ideologies and mentalities. The Routledge study spouse to the Medieval Icelandic Sagas offers an in depth interdisciplinary exam of saga scholarship over the past fifty years, occasionally juxtaposing it with previous perspectives and reading the sagas either as artworks and as resource fabrics.
- The Manuscript Tradition of Propertius (Heritage)
- Medieval Scholarship: Biographical Studies on the Formation of a Discipline: History: 1 (Garland Library of Medieval Literature)
- The Returns of Odysseus: Colonization and Ethnicity
- Musa medievale: Saggi su temi della poesia di Venanzio Fortunato (Italian Edition)
- Persius: A Study in Food, Philosophy, and the Figural
Extra resources for A Companion to Greek Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Greek Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Justina Gregory